Summer Food Shortages a Grim Reality
Sequestration has affected all of us but none more serious as on Pine Ridge Reservation. Already Lakota children and elders go without food on a regular basis and are now facing the prospect of more prolonged periods of hunger. Forever ringing in my head is the voice of a ten year old girl talking about going to bed to forget about the hunger pains in her stomach.
The One Spirit food program is in urgent need of your help to continue to provide food for the more than 2700 children and elders who wait and hope that they will be included in the program.
Summer is particularly difficult for families. School is out, and for many children this meansnot having a daily meal to count on.
It's hard to believe that the heartbreaking challenges of hunger face so many children right here, in the United States. But this is a painful reality for many.
Can you help?
The Lakota receive a commodity food allotment on the 9th of the month, but it only provides 2-3 weeks of food - not nearly enough to last an entire month. Our Food Program delivers fresh food near the end of the month, which helps families have enough until the next allotment. Many families rely on this food - they will miss meals without it.
Your support is critical to ensure that children aren't going hungry this summer.
Please help ease some of the challenges of this difficult time.
We are making some changes in the delivery system for the food program to be more efficient at getting food to the people. Eight years ago when we started the food program, we delivered food to about 50 families. It was no problem then to do the whole program from sorting to delivery in one day.
Now we have close to 300 families representing 2500-3000 people. It is impossible for the program to be accomplished in one day. So we have to make some changes and here is where we begin:
- The food will be delivered over a 3 day period.
- The first day, we are urging everyone who lives in Pine Ridge and Oglala that can pick up their food to please do so at the blue building behind Reddy Mart on route 18, a little over a mile east of Big Bats. Folks who live in Manderson and Wounded Knee and can travel to Pine Ridge should also pick up their food if at all possible Please pick up the food between 11am and 2pm.
- On the first day also, food delivery will be made to Red Shirt Table, Kyle, and Wambli.
- On the second day, food will be delivered to all other areas. People can still pick up their food between 11am and 2pm.
- THE FOOD WE ARE GETTING NOW ARRIVES FRESH STRAIGHT FROM THE GARDEN. THE FASTER PEOPLE GET THEIR FOOD THE FRESHER IT WILL BE.
WE URGE AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE TO PICK UP THEIR FOOD.
- On the third day, there will be no pick-ups but delivery will be made to as many people as possible who have not received their food.
If you do not receive your food by the end of the second day, please call Bamm at 605-441-0855 and we will try to get it to you or arrange a time for you to pick it up.
Delivery this month will be July 27th, 28th, and 29th.
Orders are due in by the end of the day on July 19th.
Thanks to all of you who have made the food program capable of ensuring that 3000 people receive fresh food every month.
Love and peace,
Diane, Jeri, Donna and the entire ONE Spirit Staff.
Friend on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Email to a friend
This month's food days are
July 27th, 28th, 29th
The last day to submit food orders is:
Friday, July 19th
Please email your food selections to Diane Capalario and Donna Herlihy today:
Payments can be made online with PAYPAL
or by mail to:
P. O. Box 3209
Rapid City SD 57709
Share this with your friends!