A great Thank you to our sponsors and supporters!
The One Spirit/Lakota Running program took a huge leap forward this month.
On May 15th, about 300 youth participated in the 5k Run to Remember/Run for Life event on the Reservation.
On May 18th, 15 Lakota athletes participated in the Denver Colfax Marathon.
The three relay teams with 5 members each finished 7th, 11th, and 17th in a field of about 1000 relay teams.
These athletes honorably represented the Lakota people and One Spirit.
We would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to all the people who made it possible for both the runs on the reservation and the Denver Marathon.
First of all, Special thanks to all One Spirit Supporters who donated to help us buy tee shirts and pay for travel expense.
Special thanks to:
- Mayor Hancock, Mayor of Denver, for the very special welcome letter presented to Team One Spirit
- Denver Colfax Marathon officials Andrea Dowdy, CEO of the Colfax Marathon, Jean Townsend, Manager of the Charity Partners for the Marathon, and Liz Easterly, Public Relations Manager. These folks were with us throughout all of the events.
- Millender White Construction Company and Adam Mack whose donation made it possible for the runners to have appropriate shoes.
- The Boulder Running Company, their manager Aileen Labayer and their fitter Abe Nichols, for expertly fitting all 15 runners with shoes chosen to specifically fit each of their needs.
- Jenice Johnson at Tanka Bars for their donation of products for publicity during the marathon.
- Stephanie Salazar for organizing the fundraiser, Refueling the Rez. which will help support the One Spirit Youth and Wood Programs.
- The Spears brothers for auctioning off an autographed shirt and donating the proceeds to One Spirit to keep Lakota youth in shoes.
- Michael Sandrock for the donation of all the sanitized and wrapped running shoes donated at the Marathon to the Lakota Running Program.
- The One Spirit people who worked tirelessly to help with events in Denver and to get the news out over email, website, facebook and twitter. A special bow to Lori Jackson, Grace Kircher, Ron Kandlin, Lisa Knouff, Karyn Beach, Sharon Dusky and Gabriela Truemper.